Monday, November 12, 2012

HOW TO: find a cocktail dress by guest blogger Ande Anderson ;)

One of my friends has a few events coming up, and she asked me to find her a dress! She needs a short cocktail dress, doesn't want black, but doesn't want anything extremely crazy. So here we go........but to start off real fast, I want to show you the dress that I am currently infatuated with.



I saw this on another girl's blog that I read.  She posted pictures of her wearing it, and I've been staring at it, wishing I could purchase it all day.

Click here to see it worn by Something Navy --> http://www.somethingnavy.com

OK so now we have to find my friend a dress.

The first thing I do when I know exactly what I need is resort to ASOS.  ASOS is a gnarly website because you can limit your results to what you are actually trying to find...save yourself the time of scrolling through a bunch of stuff you don't want.

So here is the website --> ASOS

on the left side I'm clicking dresses for her

Where it says dress length, I'm clicking mini and midi to refine the results

Next it says dress shape, so I'm clicking: bodycon, pencil, shift, swing, tea dress, tulip, and wrap.  I have no idea what results I'll get from some of these, but we'll see I guess!

I'm not putting in a size

For price range, I'm limiting it to $200 and below (wouldn't it be nice to keep the bottom all the way to the right at the max of $775)

I'm clicking every color except the typical black, brown, and white so I could see just the fun stuff

I'm also not clicking any specific brand

Of the 689 styles found, these are the ones I found worthy of putting up here:







Those are nice, but I also want to look at shopbop.com ... when I'm looking for something in particular, I don't usually start with shopbop just because it's on the more expensive side.  However, they have great stuff, so it's worth trying to look.

I went to shopbop.com and clicked dresses. Out of the categories for dresses, I picked cocktail first. I also clicked view price from low to high.

This is what I found:


I got 3/4 of the way down the first page and the dresses were already over $200.... soo lets move on

Now I'm going to Nordstrom.com...same routine... click dresses and cocktail 

Here they are:


**This is about $248.00, but I wanted to show it because I own it. I wore it to my school's barristers ball last year and on New Years of last year.  It's an awesome dress and worth the money..look below :)


(mine is bright pink though)

SAAAAME routine but on revolveclothing.com

This is the only dress I found good for the occasion that was less (barely) than $200


Again, same routine on Karmaloop.com


Karmaloop Felicity Dress ----->> Notice the House of Harlow necklace the model is wearing... re read my blog post from October regarding the cheaper version :)


Ashley, I hope this helped...do the fast shipping so you have something by Saturday :)






No comments:

Post a Comment