Thursday, May 23, 2013

F*ck it lets drink..and make tank tops

I'm more of a tank top person than a t-shirt person. Therefore, whenever I somehow acquire a t-shirt that I hate, instead of throwing it out or giving it away, I just turn it into a tank top.  This happened a lot in college with tailgating shirts and stuff like that.  My friend, Allie, saw a shirt on Fab.com that said, "Fuck It Lets Drink," and she told me I needed to purchase it.  Naturally, I did.  When it arrived (literally three weeks later eek), I tried it on and thought it was odd fitting, so I finally found the time to turn it into a tank top.  If you follow these steps, you'll be able to do this to any shirt as well :)

STEP ONE:

Lay out the shirt (really should be on a hard surface, but I was too lazy to get off the couch)

STEP TWO:

Find a thicker-strapped tank top to lay on top of your t-shirt. I have a ton that I have previously cut, so that's what I used, but any normal tank top will work.

STEP THREE:

 Take a marker or pen and outline the sleeves of the tank top on to the t-shirt. Use your discretion to determine how long you want the side openings to be. Obviously, the farther down the side of the t-shirt you draw the line, the longer the hole will be (which you may or may not like)

STEP FOUR:

 Do the same thing on the other side, and then remove the tank top from the top of the t-shirt.

STEP FIVE:

 Take a scissors and cut along the lines you drew. 

STEP SIX:

 Your lines will probably be a little jagged, but you can always go back and clean them up.  

STEP SEVEN:

Cut the other side as well (unless you want a half tank top and t-shirt). Normally, the next thing I would do after cutting the sleeves off would be to slightly cut around the neckline (you can see I did that on the blue Cubs shirt above).  However, this shirt is really thin, and since the neck wasn't thick, I didn't think I would need to mess with it.

STEP EIGHT:

 Waaalaaaaa...now I have a tank top that I will actually wear :)

No comments:

Post a Comment